Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Post #1- The College Student's Dilemma

            Hello blog world!  My name is Jena, and I am an environmental engineering student at the University of Florida.  I’m currently enrolled in an honors class that is focusing on the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, a tale of one family’s mission to eat food produced locally for one year.  I was inspired by the book to create this blog, and recount my own efforts in having a more sustainable life. 
            Living a sustainable life in college may not be the easiest thing.  There are no parents to yell at us if we stay in the shower to long, transportation to local farmers’ markets may not always be easy to come by (if there are even farmers’ markets near your campus), and the dining halls may not have a variety of vegetarian or vegan options, and if they do, we tend to reach for the pizza or chicken fingers.
This semester, I am going to try to eat more locally, reduce my consumption of meat, conserve water, and provide resources to others so they may do the same.  I hope to show college students that sustainability isn’t just a fad, but an easy lifestyle, and hopefully inspire others to make a change!


If you're interested in learning more about Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, check out the author's website here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment