Friday, April 15, 2011

Day Seven- Eco-Sabbath/ The End



       Today is dedicated to taking a break off, from everything.  Since exams are coming up, I can’t truly follow the steps for this part of the challenge, so instead, I am dedicating the last day of the challenge to reflection on my habits this week, and this semester.
       The No Impact Week was a challenging experience.  I don’t think I could follow in the Beavan’s footsteps by giving up all that they did, but I learned that I can make small sacrifices, like eating less meat, walking more places instead of driving, taking shorter, colder showers, and using my TV and laptop less.
       The hardest part of the challenge for me was avoiding packaged foods.  It seems like everything I buy comes in a package, which made me reevaluate what I am eating.  The easiest part of the challenge was keeping a good attitude.  It was difficult at parts to give up things I enjoyed, but I knew what I was doing was healthier for me, and the environment, which made the tasks easier.  
       Through this challenge, I discovered something new; the farmer’s market!  I went there for the first time this past week, and it was such a wonderful experience!  No shopping carts, no grumbling employees, just beautiful weather and delicious produce.  The atmosphere surrounding the farmer’s market was awesome.  Everyone seemed to know each other, and all the vendors were willing to talk to customers and let them try some samples.  I definitely will be going back there all the time next semester.
      On top of the changes I made this week, I think I have also made many changes this semester.  Being a part of the Animal, Vegetable, Miracle class has opened my eyes to the agricultural industry.  I can’t buy something at a grocery store without reading the ingredients and wondering what really has gone into the food.  I have cut back on my consumption of meat this semester by experimenting cooking with new vegetables.  Another change I’ve made is using less water.  I used to not be cognizant of my water use, but now I turn off the faucet while brushing my teeth and get out of the shower as soon as I can. I think the biggest lesson I’ve taken away from this course is Michael Pollan’s simple motto- “Eat food.  Mostly plants.  Not too much.”  I am going to start living by this motto.
       Being in college gives me the opportunity to be in control of my own life.  I am proud of the changes I have made, and am looking forward to making even more changes in the future.     

No comments:

Post a Comment