Monday, April 11, 2011

Day Three- Transportation



       Day Three focuses on alternative modes of transportation that burn calories, not fuel.  Since I am a college student, I mainly just stay on campus and don’t have a need to travel long distances.
       Step One is to make a list of everywhere I am going today.  The only place I am going today is to class.  I usually get there by bus since my class is early in the morning and I don’t get up early enough to walk there.  Using public transportation is a good way to reduce fossil fuel use.  To get home from class I will walk and enjoy the nice, spring weather.  Riding a bike to class is also a clean form of transportation, but I do not own a bike.
       Step Two is to keep a list of everything I ate today, where I ate, and where I purchase my food.  Today, I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a sandwich with a yogurt for lunch, and spinach, potatoes, broccoli, and tofu for dinner.  I ate all my meals in my room.  And all my food comes from Publix.
       Step Three is to reflect on my day.  Since I already walk or take a bus to class, my day didn’t change very much.  I could probably walk to and from class more, though, and enjoy a nice stroll as a way to de-stress instead of sitting on the cold, air conditioned crowded buses.  I'm also starting to pay attention to how much packaged food I consume.
 
Here are some suggestions for improving your modes of transportation:
  • Take shortcuts when driving
  • Use mass transit, and enjoy the ride by reading a good book, napping, or doing a crossword puzzle
  •  Carpool
  • Bike, rollerblade, scoot, or skateboard to your destination.  It’s not only good for your health, but it's also good for the environment!

No comments:

Post a Comment