Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day One: Consumption


             

            Day One of the challenge is about doing more with less.  Step One is to create a list of everything I need to purchase this week.  Since I went grocery shopping last week, I don’t need to buy any food.  The only thing I need to purchase is olive oil.  The purpose of the list is to evaluate what one can live without, what one can borrow, or what one can make.
Step Two is to put an empty, reusable bag in a private place that only my trash will go into.  I save Publix plastic bags so I put one of those on my bed post.
Step Three is to avoid shopping for new items this week.  This should be pretty simple since I am a frugal college student who needs to save her money for studying abroad this summer.
Step Four asks the question of “what is the hardest part of decreased purchasing?”  For me, the hardest part of decreased purchasing would be deciding what I could live without.  I’m a very fortunate person and have never been forced to live without something.  I think over time, it will get easier to get rid of the need for instant gratification that Americans seem to be taught from birth. 
At the end of Day One, the only trash in my bag was a granola bar wrapper.

No comments:

Post a Comment