Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day Two: Trash

       The focus of Day Two is trash and waste.  For the whole week, I have to give up trash cans and use my own personal trash bag. 
       Step One was to empty my trash bag from yesterday and divide the items into two groups, stuff that I used for more than 10 minutes, and stuff that I used for less than 10 minutes.  All that was in my trash bag from yesterday was a granola bar wrapper, which I consumed in less than 10 minutes.
       Step Two is to put together a no-trash travel kit for the week consisting of a reusable water bottle, or other drinking receptacle, a Tupperware container, utensils, and reusable bags.
       Step Three is to stop making trash.  I have to try to reduce, reuse, and recycle.  My personal trash bag will be for things that I have to throw away out of necessity. 
       At the end of the day, the only thing I had thrown away was another granola bar wrapper.  I think the hardest part about reducing my trash will be food wrappers.  Maybe I should give up snacks that come in wrappers since packaged food isn’t the healthiest option.
       Here are some suggestions provided by the No Impact Challenge for decreasing your trash production:
  • Travel with reusable cutlery
  • Avoid food that comes in a wrapper, box, bag, etc.
  • Use old clothes for diapers, tissues, cleaning, napkins, etc.
  •  Buy in bulk

No comments:

Post a Comment